Mergers and Acquisitions - Financial Institutions
Our M&A Financial Institutions practice group provides services related to share acquisition, share exchange/swap, government license application, merger of financial institutions, financial M&A dispute settlement, corporate spin-off, M&A financing, cooperation and joint venture structures, and other consulting services on financial institutions M&A, financial holding company law and financial related laws and regulations. In recent years, we have assisted private equity funds in acquiring domestic banks, providing services and innovation in this new type of financial M&A.
Our firm has more than 100 locally qualified lawyers, many of them have studied for law and business management or other relevant degrees in Taiwan or overseas, and many are qualified as lawyers in the U.S. or mainland China. Our professional team has extensive experience in financial services M&A, advising clients including domestic and foreign banks, investment banks, securities companies, insurance companies, asset management companies, securities investment trust companies, securities investment consulting companies and other financial institutions, as well as central and local government departments at all levels. We also cooperate with foreign law firms in many countries and regions to assist domestic financial institutions in conducting commercial activities worldwide.
Our firm's financial M&A practice group advices clients on the legal framework for M&A, and assists in mitigating legal risks and resolving M&A related legal issues. Our firm has long-term experience involving and participating in legislation and amendment to M&A related regulations. Based on our extensive experience in this area, we also contributed advice on drafting and amending the Financial Institutions Merger Act, Financial Holding Company Act and other important financial M&A related regulations, hoping to assist the government in establishing a sound legal environment for financial institutions.
Scope of Services
- Merger of Financial Institutions
- Share acquisition
- Corporate Spin-off
- Share Exchange
- Share Swap
- M&A Financing
- Application for Governmental License
- Financial M&A Dispute Resolution
- Labor & Employment Matters
- Planning of Various Cooperation or Joint Venture Structures
- Tax Planning and Consulting
- Other consulting services on the Financial Institutions Merger Act, Financial Holding Company Act and relevant financial regulations
Awards and Honors
- CHAMBERS & PARTNERS - Band 1 Firm Corporate /M&A in Taiwan
- International Financial Law Review (IFLR) – National Law Firm of the Year(Recommended firms TIER 1 in the field of Banking and Project Finance and M&A)
- Asian Legal Business -Tier One M&A Firm for Taiwan
- The Asia Pacific Legal 500 - Tier 1 Law Firm for M&A and Capital Market in Taiwan
- Taiwan Stock Exchange (TWSE) - Circulating Securities Award-Law Firm in 2020
- Taipei Exchange - First Place in Law Firms - Counselling Most Foreign Companies on Primary Listing on Taipei Exchange as of the 10th Anniversary of TPEx Open for Foreign Companies Primary Listing
- Sale of distressed banks (including Taitung Business Bank, Enterprise Bank of Hualien, Chinese Bank, China United Trust & Investment Co., Ltd. and Chinfon Bank) taken over by Taiwan government
- Sale of Nan Shan Life Insurance Co., Ltd. by AIG
- Sale of 36% shares of Massmutual Mercuries Life Insurance Co., Ltd. by Massmutual International Holding Msc, Inc. to Mercuries & Associates, Ltd.
- Sale of 100% shares of New York Life Insurance Taiwan Corporation by New York Life Enterprises, LLC to Yuanta Financial Holding
- Acquisition of Business and Assets of Kuo Hua Life Insurance Co. Ltd. by Transglobe Life Insurance (Taiwan) Inc.
- Merger of Pacific Securities Co., Ltd. into Sinopac Securities Corporation
- Acquisition of KGI Securities Co., Ltd. by China Development Financial Holding Corp.
- Acquisition of Cosmos Bank by China Development Financial Holding Corp.
- Transfer of banking business by China Development Industrial Bank to KGI Bank
- Sale of Far East National Bank by Sinopac Financial Holding Company
- Acquisition of AMK Microfinance Institutiion by Shanghai Commercial & Savings Bank
- Acquisition of retail banking franchise of Citibank Taiwan to DBS Group Holdings Ltd.
- Acquisition of EnTie Commercial Bank by IBF Financial Holdings Co.
- Acquisition of Prudential Life (Taiwan) by Taishin Financial Holding Co.
- Sale of Prudential Life Taiwan by Prudential International Insurance Holdings, Ltd.
- Acquisition of Personal Finance and Wealth Management Businesses of ANZ by DBS Bank
- Acquisition of Hsinchu Bank by Standard Chartered
- Merger of CTBC and Taiwan Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Share transfer between AEGON Life Insurance (Taiwan) Inc. and Chung Wei Yi Co., Ltd. (Mei Fu Group)